Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jury Duty Anyone?

Jury duty. It seems to be one the most feared issues of American life, and most everyone is likely to come up sooner or later.

My name came up, and last Monday, after a long and busy weekend preaching, I sat in the big room, listened to the orientation, settled back for a day of catch-up reading and looked forward to late afternoon when I could go home having met my jury obligation for another few years.

By about 3:00 PM, two judges had decided they didn’t need a jury. But I wasn’t home free. The third judge called the jury room attendant and requested about 40 prospects. At the very end of the list I heard my name called. I queued up and trailed a long solemn line—a cultural cross-section—to the court building and into a trim but tight room where bright lights contrasted with sober folks awaiting the worst. A few opening comments by the judge outlined the basic case going to trial, a calendar of possible days to try it and information about poor eyesight, hearing and other physical limitation disqualifiers, and the process was underway.

Before asking the many general questions of the group, the judge launched into a patriotic speech about how constitutional this all was, how jury duty is the highest civic duty of any American, and how our system was the best in the world. My resistance to jury service dramatically faded.

Out of the random computer list came the names, until seven were seated and asked a long series of questions. Interspersed was a trickle of people with personal reason to be excused quietly whispered to the judge, who let them all go. The pool was getting smaller but I thought, "I’ll not get called." Then the lawyers removed some who had been seated, and I heard my name called.

Surely they won’t want a minister? My questioning began, and I became Juror #6. One more juror was replaced, and then seven of us heard both lawyers say, "We accept the jury as it stands." That was it. I was trapped—for seven days if necessary, eight for a long trial.

But I was doing my highest civic duty in the best judicial system in the world. That was great, except for a couple of things. I had meetings and responsibilities that would terribly crowd those dates, and when I arrived back in the ministry office, I was reminded of a meeting ON one of the trial dates. I must have been tired not to remember when I could have asked to be released.

My challenge had been to honorably fulfill my civic duty and also discharge my ministry responsibilities. With pressure and weariness I did essential broadcast preparation before and after jury duty. I was tired, but I hoped for unique opportunities.

About 12 years ago, I sat in another jury pool. As the morning dragged on, I noticed a man next to me reading his Bible. "That’s a good book you have there," I said. After finding our mutual faith in Jesus Christ, I learned he listened to our local Christian radio station … and my program … and he enjoyed it. Neither of us was called to jury duty, but that newfound friend began financially supporting our ministry and still does with a gift each month.

On the second day of the recent trial, a fellow juror and I chatted at lunch. He was a Christian I discovered. He asked, "What do you really do?" I explained about being in evangelism and radio broadcasting and that the broadcast used to be heard over our local Christian station. "What was it called?" he asked. "The Word And the World, and my name is David Virkler." A broad smile spread across his face. "I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it. I listened all the time, and I think I sent for one of your special offers." As we parted he said, "You have made my day. You have just made my day." Actually, he made mine more than I made his.

During breaks in the jury room, he and I had stunning opportunities to witness for Christ to the others. Hopefully, we planted seeds that will result in some accepting Christ as Savior.

On the third day, the parties settled, and we all went home. I had the time to minister, and dates are no longer in conflict. I had witnessed for Christ, and I had made new friends. I had fulfilled my personal constitutional civic duty as an American citizen and as a Christian.

Luke 20:25 says, "And [Jesus] said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God’s." In that day, Caesar was the highest authority. In the United States, the highest authority is the Constitution! Colossians 3:23-24 says, "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ."

Jury duty—a blessing in disguise!

David Virkler

No comments: