Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Michael Phelps' Forward Vision

Having overcome a difficult childhood of an absent father, ADHD and cruel juvenile taunts, Michael Phelps stands at an unprecedented athletic summit. Winning more gold medals in a single Olympics than any other competitor, Phelps is the darling of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, an instant hero and a potential multi-millionaire.

His apparent innocent humility is eclipsed only by his vision for what lies ahead. When asked how he felt about his stunning achievements, Phelps declared that he wasn’t focusing on the past but was thinking ahead to better enhancing the sport of swimming and looking to the Olympic Games four years hence in London.

Phelps’ futuristic thinking is a reflection – unconscious perhaps – of the great Apostle Paul’s visionary formula of Philippians 3:12-14:

“I don’t mean to say I am perfect. I haven’t learned all I should even yet, but I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be, but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven because of what Christ Jesus did for us.” (The Living Bible – emphasis mine)

Paul was a master missionary, a church planter and author of Scripture. These laurels would satisfy most men’s loftiest ambitions, but he knew that life’s spiritual race was not finished until either death or the Rapture, and only when surging toward life’s finish line did he speak in the past tense. In his second letter to Timothy, Paul wrote, “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing” (II Timothy 4:6-8). While he lived, Paul was always looking for the “regions beyond” (II Corinthians 10:16).

An Old Testament counterpart is Ecclesiastes 7:10. “Do not say, ‘Why were the former days better than these?’ For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.’”

Years ago a mountain climber perished while striving for the summit. On his tombstone was inscribed, “He died climbing.” I once heard a man wisely say, “When it comes time to die, be sure the only thing left to do is die.” Accordingly, my life’s verse is Acts 13:36, which reads in part, “For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep, was buried with his fathers…”

The old hymn “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” has some apt phraseology: “Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessing all mine with ten thousand besides.”

Michael Phelp’s amazing future-focused thinking is surely commendable. How much more effective it is in believers who press toward an eternal finish line and an enduring crown.

Dave Virkler

No comments: