Thursday, July 17, 2008

American Culture and the Gospel

I’ve just returned from Honduras where I visited numerous homes, preached in five churches and shared my testimony at a closing rally with several hundred. It was my second visit to this country, this time in San Pedro Sula, the largest city in Honduras. (Tegucigalpa is the capitol, and national pride always lists it as the country’s largest city.)

I was struck with the dichotomy of the culture. In the city square is a marvelous mall with an eatery where the restaurants match those in the U.S. and high-level stores rival any in America. But the poverty in the sprawl of outlying areas not far away is stunning. In many of these areas, godly pastors labor tirelessly for a salary of just few hundred dollars a month. Twenty of these heroes and their congregations invited teams to come for house-to-house visitation, church preaching and a closing rally.

In the most humble dwellings, I prayed with several to receive Christ and with others for rededication. One convert had murdered his brother and felt responsible for the death of his wife. It would be hard to question his sincerity in knowing he’s a sinner in desperate need of a forgiving Savior. He had never been to church and had refused to listen to anyone speak to him about Christ, but he let me share my personal testimony and the plan of salvation.

Some teams visited public schools where they had freedom to present the Gospel that Christ died for their sins, He rose again, and if the students would receive Him as Savior they would be saved. Many did just that. In America, if a principal allowed this on Monday, he would be in court on Tuesday.

Our combined team efforts recorded 225 decisions for Christ in homes and schools and 25 decisions in the Saturday rally. Much of this open door is because we are Americans and the people will listen to us. English is the global language of commerce, computers, air traffic control and, increasingly, Gospel missions. Increasingly, the world is learning English. I believe God’s purpose in that is so that our influence enables them to learn about God, and His saving Son, Jesus Christ through the vehicle of English. Christian students are going to missionary “language school” in the U.S. simply by going to school.

My translator was a 17-year old young man who spoke fluent English. He has studied it since the earliest grades, as increasing numbers are doing not only in private schools but public schools. “Bilingual”—meaning English and Spanish are spoken—is a kind of badge of achievement posted on schools and even church signboards.

“Do people want to come to America?” I asked him. “Yes,” he answered. “Everyone here wants to go to America.” I continued, “Why don’t they go?” His answer is stuck in my mind. “The country won’t let them out. If they go, they will never come back. I am going to study in college in Atlanta next fall, and I am having trouble getting my study visa.” A boy in one of the churches in which I preached wanted to practice his English with me and said, “My teacher told me to learn and practice English if I ever wanted to make something of myself.”

In some homes there is no husband/father present. When I asked where he was I was told, “He’s in America working to support us.” When I asked, “How long?” I was told, “Five years” in one instance and “Two years” in another. In the churches, youth and adults would crowd around me after the services as though I were a celebrity. Much of it was because I was an American who shared Christ.

When I asked my translator if people there admired Americans, I was told that actually they respect and admire Americans very much. As evidence of this, I found 100 channels on the hotel TV, many of which were from the States. The people have copied our styles, and they have KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, T.G.I. Fridays, Subway, etc.

Jesus said, “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more” (Luke 12:48c). Honduras—yes, all of Central America—is our backyard and receptive to our culture. While styles, language and food are increasingly copied, let us believers focus on exporting the Gospel. In foreign lands, increasing numbers have an open ear to the Gospel simply because we tell it in English.

It is an opportunity and obligation too profound to squander.

Dave Virkler

No comments: